E-bikes are fun to ride, but they also come with useful benefits. These bikes are convenient in heavy traffic. They are eco-friendly, which means there’s less harm to the environment. If your looking to buy one, make sure to understand how e-bikes work first.
This guide can help since it offers detailed information on the many electric bike parts and accessories. You’ll learn about integral components like batteries and chargers. You'll also discover which accessories you need to improve the user experience. Keep reading to become an expert on the e-bicycle accessories!
Electric Bike Parts and Accessories
E-bicycles are convenient because they don’t require manual power to move. Instead of pedaling, you can enjoy riding these vehicles effortlessly. The battery provides energy and gets the bike going. The batteries used to be lead-acid, but now most manufacturers use lithium-ion for this component.
The e-bike battery can last anywhere from two to four years. It depends on how often you use the bike. These parts use different voltages, but the common options are 36V and 48V. You might see 12V, 24V, or even 72V in some more powerful products. Depending on the model, your vehicle will have an integrated or external battery. The latter is easier to take off and replace when necessary.
The battery provides energy, and the motor processes it. This part converts it to mechanical power and ensures you can ride the bike. The component is usually in the back, but some models have it in the front.
It’s become a standard for manufacturers to use brushless motors. These ensure the part remains fairly quiet while maintaining the performance. Most models on the market have hub types, which can use a geared or direct drive system.
The motor’s strength is directly proportionate to how fast your e-bike moves. The maximum speed is usually from 15-30MPH. You might need a stronger motor to deal with going up inclines. However, more powerful units also cost more and require a higher budget.
Most users aren’t familiar with the controller, but it’s among the essential electric bike parts. It all starts with the battery that sends energy to this part. The controller receives DC voltage and converts it to the 3-phase AC that the motor can process.
Another use of this part is to change the voltage the motor receives. If you use a 36V motor, the controller adjusts it from 0V to 36V. While at low speeds, the motor will only receive 10V. But if you go faster, this part will send more voltage.
The controller adjusts the motor’s power output. It also ensures the motor doesn’t draw more current from the battery than necessary. This prevents potential problems and extends the vehicle’s longevity.
Electric bikes have multiple sensors that contribute to safety and help to control the vehicle. Most units will have the following parts:
- Torque (PAS) sensors. If you are moving the pedals, these components will process it. Some will even determine how fast you turn them.
- Hall sensors. These parts detect the rotor’s position. The controllers might need the rotational position to time the current moved through the wires. Advanced units might come without this part.
- E-brake sensor. This part sends a message to the controller when you press the brake. While it’s an optional component, it can ensure a smoother riding experience.
What Other Electric Bike Parts Are There
E-bicycles aren’t that different from conventional bikes. Their crucial distinction lies in the electrical system.
- Throttle. The rider uses this to decide how much power they want. You can pick from twist-grip and thumb throttles.
- Display. It offers crucial information to the rider, such as speed, battery level, etc.
- Torque arms. While the wheel goes forward, the motor axle deals with its opposite torque. This part serves to ensure everything stays in position for optimal control.
These are additional e-bike components that don’t come with the product. They serve for safety and improving the riding experience. Here are some of the common accessories for e-bicycle owners.
This is an integral safety component. If anything goes wrong, protecting your head is imperative. Many states require wearing a helmet when riding a bike. Don’t forget other items that could improve your safety. Those range from knee pads to a warm jacket with protective layers.
If you want the bicycle to work well, regular maintenance is vital. That minimizes the risk of anything going wrong while on the road. If you suspect damage or a broken component, take the vehicle to a mechanic.
These accessories make item transportation with your bicycle feasible. The electric bike rack is usually in the back of your vehicle. Mounting is simple, and their weight capacity depends on the accessory.
If you need more room, a bike cargo rack is a convenient addition. However, carrying heavy items might make you slower. It could utilize more battery since it drains extra power. Before you head on the road, make sure you have sufficient vehicle energy to cross the desired distance.
Pannier bags are another option for transporting items. These go on the front side, which makes them visible for the rider. That makes these bags convenient for quickly accessing items. You can store cellphones, watches, and other stuff.
Other Accessories for Your Bike
- Locking mechanisms. Electric bikes are an expensive investment, which makes them tempting for thieves. Installing a locking mechanism will make your vehicle harder to steal.
- GPS trackers. These are convenient if someone steals your e-bike. The tracker will help to find their location and retrieve the bike.
- Seats. Some seats don’t offer generous padding, which affects comfort. Replacing the existing one with a new seating option will improve the riding experience.
- Covers. If you keep the bike outside, a protective cover keeps it safe from bad weather. Water can damage electrical components and deem the e-bicycle unusable.
You should now have a better understanding of electric bike parts and how the bikes work. This will help you when identifying the right accessories for your bicycle. Apart from new components, don’t forget to replace any parts that suffer from wear and tear. Don’t hesitate to reach out for other accessories to maximize the entire experience of using your e-bike!
Share this post